Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul railroad rolling stock, mine cars, or mass transit rail cars.
- Valve Repairer
- Valve Mechanic
- Truck Mechanic Apprentice
- Truck Mechanic
- Trouble Shooter
- Trolley Car Overhauler
- Trolley Car Mechanic
- Triple Valve Tester
- Triple Valve Mechanic
- Repair window sash frames, attach weather stripping and channels to frames, and replace window glass, using hand tools.
- Repair car upholstery.
- Paint car exteriors, interiors, and fixtures.
- Examine car roofs for wear and damage, and repair defective sections, using roofing material, cement, nails, and waterproof paint.
- Install and repair interior flooring, fixtures, walls, plumbing, steps, and platforms.
- Test electrical systems of cars by operating systems and using testing equipment such as ammeters.
- Replace defective wiring and insulation, and tighten electrical connections, using hand tools.
- Align car sides for installation of car ends and crossties, using width gauges, turnbuckles, and wrenches.
- Measure diameters of axle wheel seats, using micrometers, and mark dimensions on axles so that wheels can be bored to specified dimensions.
- Disassemble units such as water pumps, control valves, and compressors so that repairs can be made.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $48,590 with most people making between $29,040 and $71,040
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,040 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,110 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 23 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Extraction Workers
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators