Repair only one system or component on a vehicle, such as brakes, suspension, or radiator.
- Wheel Tuner
- Wheel Alignment Technician
- Wheel Alignment Mechanic
- Wheel Aligner
- Wheel Adjuster
- Vehicle Fuel Systems Converter
- Undercar Specialist
- Tune-Up Mechanic
- Trim Technician
- Retrofit vehicle fuel systems with aftermarket products, such as vapor transfer devices, evaporation control devices, swirlers, lean burn devices, or friction reduction devices, to enhance combustion and fuel efficiency.
- Inspect propane or natural gas high-pressure tanks, piping, or pressure regulators.
- Convert vehicle fuel systems from gasoline to butane gas, ethanol, methane, or other alternative or biofuel systems.
- Service biodiesel fuel tanks for algae or sludge accumulation by cleaning, changing filters, or adding algaecides.
- Diagnose and repair regenerative braking systems or hydraulic systems in hybrid vehicles.
- Service internal combustion engine systems for hybrid electric vehicles.
- Service or repair butane gas, ethanol, methane, or other alternative or biofuel systems.
- Replace hydraulically assisted systems with electric-powered systems, such as power steering pumps or air conditioning compressors, to improve fuel economy.
- Diagnose and replace or repair engine management systems or related sensors for flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs) with ignition timing, fuel rate, alcohol concentration, or air-to-fuel ratio malfunctions.
- Conduct visual inspections of compressed natural gas fuel systems to identify cracks, gouges, abrasions, discoloration, broken fibers, loose brackets, damaged gaskets, or other problems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,040 with most people making between $20,160 and $59,750
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 38,370 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 39,650 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 128 openings due to growth and about 1,032 replacement openings for approximately 1,160 total annual openings.
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General