Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames.
- Cut openings in vehicle bodies for the installation of customized windows, using templates and power shears or chisels.
- Soak fiberglass matting in resin mixtures and apply layers of matting over repair areas to specified thicknesses.
- Replace damaged glass on vehicles.
- Measure and mark vinyl material and cut material to size for roof installation, using rules, straightedges, and hand shears.
- Read specifications or confer with customers to determine the desired custom modifications for altering the appearance of vehicles.
- Inspect repaired vehicles for proper functioning, completion of work, dimensional accuracy, and overall appearance of paint job, and test drive vehicles to ensure proper alignment and handling.
- Apply heat to plastic panels, using hot-air welding guns or immersion in hot water, and press the softened panels back into shape by hand.
- Clean work areas, using air hoses, to remove damaged material and discarded fiberglass strips used in repair procedures.
- Remove damaged panels, and identify the family and properties of the plastic used on a vehicle.
- Fit and secure windows, vinyl roofs, and metal trim to vehicle bodies, using caulking guns, adhesive brushes, and mallets.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,650 with most people making between $25,310 and $64,780
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,280 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 7,880 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 60 openings due to growth and about 170 replacement openings for approximately 230 total annual openings.
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders