Repair, adjust, or install audio or television receivers, stereo systems, camcorders, video systems, or other electronic home entertainment equipment.
- Position or mount speakers, and wire speakers to consoles.
- Make service calls to repair units in customers' homes, or return units to shops for major repairs.
- Keep records of work orders and test and maintenance reports.
- Read and interpret electronic circuit diagrams, function block diagrams, specifications, engineering drawings, and service manuals.
- Compute cost estimates for labor and materials.
- Instruct customers on the safe and proper use of equipment.
- Tune or adjust equipment and instruments to obtain optimum visual or auditory reception, according to specifications, manuals, and drawings.
- Confer with customers to determine the nature of problems or to explain repairs.
- Calibrate and test equipment, and locate circuit and component faults, using hand and power tools and measuring and testing instruments such as resistance meters and oscilloscopes.
- Install, service, and repair electronic equipment or instruments such as televisions, radios, and videocassette recorders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $34,620 with most people making between $24,700 and $49,400
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 670 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 680 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Printing Press Operators
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation