Repair, adjust, or install audio or television receivers, stereo systems, camcorders, video systems, or other electronic home entertainment equipment.
- Position or mount speakers, and wire speakers to consoles.
- Make service calls to repair units in customers' homes, or return units to shops for major repairs.
- Keep records of work orders and test and maintenance reports.
- Read and interpret electronic circuit diagrams, function block diagrams, specifications, engineering drawings, and service manuals.
- Compute cost estimates for labor and materials.
- Instruct customers on the safe and proper use of equipment.
- Tune or adjust equipment and instruments to obtain optimum visual or auditory reception, according to specifications, manuals, and drawings.
- Confer with customers to determine the nature of problems or to explain repairs.
- Calibrate and test equipment, and locate circuit and component faults, using hand and power tools and measuring and testing instruments such as resistance meters and oscilloscopes.
- Install, service, and repair electronic equipment or instruments such as televisions, radios, and videocassette recorders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,020 with most people making between $25,720 and $53,040
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 670 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 680 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Printing Press Operators
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation