Install, diagnose, or repair communications, sound, security, or navigation equipment in motor vehicles.
- Tape Deck Installer
- Security Systems Installer
- Mobile Electronics Installer
- Mobile Electronics Installation Specialist
- Installation Technician
- Installation Specialist
- GPS Navigation Installer (Global Positioning System Navigation Installer)
- Generator Worker
- Build fiberglass or wooden enclosures for sound components, and fit them to automobile dimensions.
- Replace and clean electrical or electronic components.
- Estimate costs of repairs based on parts and labor charges.
- Record results of diagnostic tests.
- Remove seats, carpeting, and interiors of doors and add sound-absorbing material in empty spaces, reinstalling interior parts.
- Confer with customers to determine the nature of malfunctions.
- Run new speaker and electrical cables.
- Diagnose or repair problems with electronic equipment, such as sound, navigation, communication, and security equipment, in motor vehicles.
- Splice wires with knives or cutting pliers, and solder connections to fixtures and equipment.
- Cut openings and drill holes for fixtures and equipment, using electric drills and routers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $41,620 with most people making between $28,000 and $58,680
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 140 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 120 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Rough Carpenters
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic