Inspect, test, repair, or maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
- Transformer Repairer
- Test Technician
- Substation Wireman
- Substation Technician
- Substation Mechanic
- Substation Electrician
- Relay Technician
- Relay Operator
- Relay Engineer
- Set forms and pour concrete footings for installation of heavy equipment.
- Disconnect voltage regulators, bolts, and screws, and connect replacement regulators to high-voltage lines.
- Test oil in circuit breakers and transformers for dielectric strength, refilling oil periodically.
- Schedule and supervise splicing or termination of cables in color-code order.
- Schedule and supervise the construction and testing of special devices and the implementation of unique monitoring or control systems.
- Test insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, testing current, and calculating insulation loss.
- Construct, test, maintain, and repair substation relay and control systems.
- Maintain inventories of spare parts for all equipment, requisitioning parts as necessary.
- Run signal quality and connectivity tests for individual cables, and record results.
- Repair, replace, and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes, and commutators.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $69,070 with most people making between $54,210 and $88,120
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 890 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 910 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Commercial Divers
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gas Plant Operators