Install, adjust, or maintain mobile electronics communication equipment, including sound, sonar, security, navigation, and surveillance systems on trains, watercraft, or other mobile equipment.
- Tubing Tester
- Ship Yard Electrical Person
- Security Systems Installer
- Repairer, Controller, Tester
- Reel Repairer
- Radio Technician
- Production Troubleshooter
- Motor Home Electrical Foreman
- Estimate costs of repairs based on parts and labor requirements.
- Confer with customers to determine the nature of malfunctions.
- Repair or rebuild equipment such as starters, generators, distributors, or door controls, using electrician's tools.
- Install fixtures, outlets, terminal boards, switches, and wall boxes, using hand tools.
- Install electrical equipment such as air-conditioning, heating, or ignition systems and components such as generator brushes and commutators, using hand tools.
- Measure, cut, and install frameworks and conduit to support and connect wiring, control panels, and junction boxes, using hand tools.
- Cut openings and drill holes for fixtures, outlet boxes, and fuse holders, using electric drills and routers.
- Maintain equipment service records.
- Refer to schematics and manufacturers' specifications that show connections and provide instructions on how to locate problems.
- Adjust, repair, or replace defective wiring and relays in ignition, lighting, air-conditioning, and safety control systems, using electrician's tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $59,500 with most people making between $41,860 and $78,130
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 420 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 460 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 6 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Avionics Technicians
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation