Repair, maintain, or install electric motors, wiring, or switches.
- Wind Generating Electric Power Installer
- Transformer Repairer
- Transformer Mechanic
- Tool Technician
- Tool Repairer
- Tool Repair Technician
- Tool Maintenance Worker
- Switchgear Repairer
- Starter Mechanic
- Sewing Machine Adjuster
- Clean, rinse, and dry transformer cases, using boiling water, scrapers, solvents, hoses, and cloths.
- Position and level battery cells, anodes, or cathodes, using hoists or leveling jacks, or signal other workers to perform positioning and leveling.
- Test battery charges, and replace or recharge batteries as necessary.
- Inspect batteries for structural defects such as dented cans, damaged carbon rods and terminals, and defective seals.
- Sharpen tools such as saws, picks, shovels, screwdrivers, and scoops, either manually or by using bench grinders and emery wheels.
- Repair and operate battery-charging equipment.
- Seal joints with putty, mortar, and asbestos, using putty extruders and knives.
- Drain and filter transformer oil and refill transformers with oil until coils are submerged.
- Hammer out dents and twists in tools and equipment.
- Remove and replace defective parts such as coil leads, carbon brushes, and wires, using soldering equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $45,110 with most people making between $28,860 and $66,820
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 830 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 870 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 26 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators