Repair, maintain, or install computers, word processing systems, automated teller machines, and electronic office machines, such as duplicating and fax machines.
- Xerox Machine Mechanic
- Typewriter Repairer
- Typewriter Mechanic
- Typewriter Aligner
- Transcribing Machine Mechanic
- Technician Support Engineer
- Technician Support Association
- Tabulating Machine Mechanic
- Support Technician
- Statistical Machine Servicer
- Calibrate testing instruments.
- Train new repairers.
- Fill machines with toners, inks, or other duplicating fluids.
- Enter information into computers to copy programs from one electronic component to another or to draw, modify, or store schematics.
- Lay cable and hook up electrical connections between machines, power sources, and phone lines.
- Assemble machines according to specifications, using hand or power tools and measuring devices.
- Test components or circuits of faulty equipment to locate defects, using oscilloscopes, signal generators, ammeters, voltmeters, or special diagnostic software programs.
- Update existing equipment, performing tasks such as installing updated circuit boards or additional memory.
- Read specifications, such as blueprints, charts, or schematics, to determine machine settings or adjustments.
- Analyze equipment performance records to assess equipment functioning.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $37,750 with most people making between $23,020 and $54,070
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,250 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,310 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 104 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Agricultural Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
- Freight and Cargo Inspectors