Help extraction craft workers, such as earth drillers, blasters and explosives workers, derrick operators, and mining machine operators, by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include supplying equipment or cleaning work area.
- Wash Driller Helper
- Underground Miner
- Undercutter Operator
- Tunnel Mucker
- Truck Driver
- Test Borer Helper
- Shot Core Drill Operator Helper
- Shooter Helper
- Shale Planer Operator Helper
- Dig trenches.
- Collect and examine geological matter, using hand tools and testing devices.
- Set up and adjust equipment used to excavate geological materials.
- Clean and prepare sites for excavation or boring.
- Signal workers to start geological material extraction or boring.
- Load materials into well holes or into equipment, using hand tools.
- Unload materials, devices and machine parts, using hand tools.
- Dismantle extracting and boring equipment used for excavation, using hand tools.
- Provide assistance to extraction craft workers, such as earth drillers and derrick operators.
- Organize materials to prepare for use.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $41,090 with most people making between $27,270 and $52,200
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,630 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,660 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 17 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Rail Car Repairers
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators