Assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools. Perform other tasks as needed.
- Well Service Floorperson
- Well Service Floor Worker
- Tool Pusher
- Roustabout Pusher
- Roustabout Hand
- Roustabout Crew Pusher
- Roustabout Crew Leader
- Dig holes, set forms, and mix and pour concrete into forms to make foundations for wood or steel derricks.
- Cut down and remove trees and brush to clear drill sites, to reduce fire hazards, and to make way for roads to sites.
- Bolt or nail together wood or steel framework to erect derricks.
- Dig drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.
- Clean up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Dismantle and repair oil field machinery, boilers, and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Supply equipment to rig floors as requested and provide assistance to roughnecks.
- Guide cranes to move loads about decks.
- Bolt together pump and engine parts.
- Move pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,260 with most people making between $26,480 and $60,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,920 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,870 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand