Operate machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
- Underground Roof Bolter
- Underground Mining Section Foreman
- Underground Miner
- Underground Mine Superintendent
- Underground Bolting Machine Operator
- Roof Bolting Coal Miner
- Roof Bolter Operator
- Roof Bolter
- Place Change Roof Bolter
- Tighten ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and insert bolts into chucks.
- Rotate chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Position safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Drill test holes and test bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
- Install various types of bolts including truss, glue, and resin bolts, traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Dust rocks after bolting.
- Perform ventilation tasks, such as hanging ventilation curtains and tubes.
- Force bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Perform tests to determine if methane gas is present.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $61,930 with most people making between $46,680 and $77,940
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 650 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 550 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators