Separate blocks of rough dimension stone from quarry mass using jackhammer and wedges.
- Cut grooves along outlines, using chisels.
- Drill holes into sides of stones broken from masses, insert dogs or attach slings, and direct removal of stones.
- Drill holes along outlines, using jackhammers.
- Set charges of explosives to split rock.
- Cut slabs of stone into sheets that will be used for floors or counters.
- Mark dimensions or outlines on stone prior to cutting, using rules and chalk lines.
- Insert wedges and feathers into holes, and drive wedges with sledgehammers to split stone sections from masses.
- Remove pieces of stone from larger masses, using jackhammers, wedges, and other tools.
- Locate grain line patterns to determine how rocks will split when cut.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $34,830 with most people making between $20,720 and $48,740
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 550 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 4 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers