Operate machinery such as longwall shears, plows, and cutting machines to cut or channel along the face or seams of coal mines, stone quarries, or other mining surfaces to facilitate blasting, separating, or removing minerals or materials from mines or from the Earth's surface. Includes shale planers.
- Free jams in planer hoppers, using metal pinch bars.
- Guide and assist crews in laying track for machines and resetting planer rails, supports, and blocking, using jacks, shovels, sledges, picks, and pinch bars.
- Monitor movement of shale along conveyors from hoppers to trucks or railcars.
- Signal truck drivers to position their vehicles for receiving shale from planer hoppers.
- Charge and set off explosives in blasting holes.
- Remove debris such as loose shale from channels and planer travel areas.
- Signal crew members to adjust the speed of equipment to the rate of installation of roof supports, and to adjust the speed of conveyors to the volume of coal.
- Determine locations, boundaries, and depths of holes or channels to be cut.
- Advance plow blades through coal strata by remote control, according to electronic or radio signals from the tailer.
- Move controls to start and position drill cutters or torches and advance tools into mines or quarry faces to complete horizontal or vertical cuts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $54,000 with most people making between $32,410 and $74,180
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 540 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 520 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Roof Bolters, Mining
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators