Operate a variety of drills such as rotary, churn, and pneumatic to tap sub-surface water and salt deposits, to remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing, and to facilitate the use of explosives in mining or construction. May use explosives. Includes horizontal and earth boring machine operators.
- Observe electronic graph recorders and flow meters that monitor the water used to flush debris from holes.
- Retract augers to force discharge dirt from holes.
- Inspect core samples to determine nature of strata, or take samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Withdraw drill rods from holes, and extract core samples.
- Signal crane operators to move equipment.
- Design well pumping systems.
- Disinfect, reconstruct, and redevelop contaminated wells and water pumping systems, and clean and disinfect new wells in preparation for use.
- Perform pumping tests to assess well performance.
- Drill or bore holes in rock for blasting, grouting, anchoring, or building foundations.
- Review client requirements and proposed locations for drilling operations to determine feasibility, and to determine cost estimates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $43,810 with most people making between $32,380 and $59,070
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,180 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,320 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 14 openings due to growth and about 26 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Tool and Die Makers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation