Install or repair solar energy systems designed to collect, store, and circulate solar-heated water for residential, commercial or industrial use.
- Thermal Technician
- Solar Water Heater Installer
- Solar Thermal Technician
- Solar Thermal Installer
- Solar Technician
- Solar System Installer
- Solar Power Installer
- Solar Pool Heating Installer
- Solar Maintenance Technician
- Solar Installer
- Apply ultraviolet radiation protection to prevent degradation of plumbing.
- Assess collector sites to ensure structural integrity of potential mounting surfaces or the best orientation and tilt for solar collectors.
- Install monitoring system components, such as flow meters, temperature gauges, and pressure gauges, according to system design and manufacturer specifications.
- Install plumbing, such as dip tubes, port fittings, drain tank valves, pressure temperature relief valves, or tanks, according to manufacturer specifications and building codes.
- Cut, miter, and glue piping insulation to insulate plumbing pipes and fittings.
- Connect water heaters and storage tanks to power and water sources.
- Apply operation or identification tags or labels to system components, as required.
- Install heat exchangers and heat exchanger fluids according to installation manuals and schematics.
- Perform routine maintenance or repairs to restore solar thermal systems to baseline operating conditions.
- Determine locations for installing solar subsystem components, including piping, water heaters, valves, and ancillary equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,160 with most people making between $19,820 and $51,570
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 580 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 660 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 12 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.