Lay out, cut, and place segmental paving units. Includes installers of bedding and restraining materials for the paving units.
- Travertine Installer
- Slab Installer
- Segmental Wall Installer
- Segmental Paver Installer
- Paving Stone Installer
- Paving Foreman
- Paver Layer
- Paver Installer
- Landscape Foreman
- Cement the edges of the paved area.
- Resurface an outside area with cobblestones, terracotta tiles, concrete or other materials.
- Sweep sand from the surface prior to opening to traffic.
- Design paver installation layout pattern and create markings for directional references of joints and stringlines.
- Compact bedding sand and pavers to finish the paved area, using a plate compactor.
- Cut paving stones to size and for edges, using a splitter and a masonry saw.
- Screed sand level to an even thickness, and recheck sand exposed to elements, raking and rescreeding if necessary.
- Sweep sand into the joints and compact pavement until the joints are full.
- Set pavers, aligning and spacing them correctly.
- Discuss the design with the client.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
Pennsylvania wage information is not available
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 30 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 30 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 1 replacement openings for approximately 1 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators