Erect and repair fences and fence gates, using hand and power tools.
- Wood Fence Installer
- Wood Fence Erector
- Wire Fence Erector
- Wire Fence Builder
- Fence Repairman
- Fence Laborer
- Fence Installer Helper
- Fence Installer
- Fence Erector
- Fence Builder
- Blast rock formations and rocky areas with dynamite to facilitate posthole digging.
- Erect alternate panel, basket weave, and louvered fences.
- Weld metal parts together, using portable gas welding equipment.
- Construct and repair barriers, retaining walls, trellises, and other types of fences, walls, and gates.
- Nail pointed slats to rails to construct picket fences.
- Attach rails or tension wire along bottoms of posts to form fencing frames.
- Insert metal tubing through rail supports.
- Complete top fence rails of metal fences by connecting tube sections, using metal sleeves.
- Assemble gates, and fasten gates into position, using hand tools.
- Attach fence rail supports to posts, using hammers and pliers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,250 with most people making between $25,300 and $55,770
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,030 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,190 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 16 openings due to growth and about 24 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators