Help roofers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Clear drains and downspouts and clean gutters.
- Chop tar into small pieces, and heat chopped tar in kettles.
- Apply shingles, gravel, or asphalt over the top layer of tar to protect the roofing material.
- Hoist tar and roofing materials to roofs, using ropes and pulleys, or carry materials up ladders.
- Attach sheets of metal to roof boards or building frameworks when installing metal roofs.
- Perform emergency leak repairs and general maintenance for a variety of roof types.
- Attach roofing paper and composition shingles, using nails.
- Provide assistance to skilled roofers installing and repairing roofs, flashings, and surfaces.
- Place tiles, nail them to roof boards, and cover nailheads with roofing cement.
- Set ladders, scaffolds, and hoists in place for taking supplies to roofs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $30,930 with most people making between $25,230 and $38,700
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 420 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 4 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers