Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Clean and renew steam traps.
- Immerse pipe in chemical solution to remove dirt, oil, and scale.
- Fill pipes with sand or resin to prevent distortion, and hold pipes during bending and installation.
- Install gas burners to convert furnaces from wood, coal, or oil.
- Clean shop, work area, and machines, using solvent and rags.
- Disassemble and remove damaged or worn pipe.
- Excavate and grade ditches, and lay and join pipe for water and sewer service.
- Mount brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes, and set sleeves or inserts to provide support for pipes.
- Requisition tools and equipment, select type and size of pipe, and collect and transport materials and equipment to work site.
- Fit or assist in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,560 with most people making between $21,260 and $48,290
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,160 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 14 openings due to growth and about 16 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Construction Laborers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors