Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings. Work may involve any of the following: setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; or inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces. Includes sheet metal duct installers who install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes.
- Construct components for high-performance wind turbine systems.
- Install green architectural sheet metal components, such as cool roofs or hot or cold walls.
- Perform sheet metal work necessary for solar panel installations.
- Fasten roof panel edges or machine-made moldings to structures by nailing or welding.
- Perform building commissioning activities by completing mechanical inspections of a building's water, lighting, or heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- Secure metal roof panels in place by interlocking and fastening grooved panel edges.
- Verify that heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are designed, installed, and calibrated in accordance with green certification standards, such as those of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
- Inspect individual parts, assemblies, or installations, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, scales, or micrometers.
- Maneuver completed roofing units into position for installation.
- Develop or lay out patterns, using computerized metalworking equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $54,720 with most people making between $29,620 and $81,280
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,720 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,070 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 35 openings due to growth and about 105 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators