Cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
- Install layers of vegetation-based green roofs, including protective membranes, drainage, aeration, water retention and filter layers, soil substrates, irrigation materials, and plants.
- Apply modular soil- and plant-containing grids over existing roof membranes to create green roofs.
- Punch holes in slate, tile, terra cotta, or wooden shingles, using punches and hammers.
- Attach solar panels to existing roofs, according to specifications and without damaging roofing materials or the structural integrity of buildings.
- Spray roofs, sidings, or walls to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures, using spray guns, air compressors, or heaters.
- Install solar roofing systems that have energy-collecting photovoltaic panels built into roofing membranes, shingles, or tiles.
- Apply gravel or pebbles over top layers of roofs, using rakes or stiff-bristled brooms.
- Install skylights on roofs to increase natural light inside structures or to reduce energy costs.
- Install attic ventilation systems, such as turbine vents, gable or ridge vents, or conventional or solar-powered exhaust fans.
- Mop or pour hot asphalt or tar onto roof bases.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,930 with most people making between $22,950 and $59,380
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,750 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,320 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 57 openings due to growth and about 73 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Rail Car Repairers
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Printing Press Operators