Assemble, install, or repair pipes, fittings, or fixtures of heating, water, or drainage systems, according to specifications or plumbing codes.
- Compile information on governmental incentive programs related to the installation of energy or water saving plumbing systems or devices.
- Install, test, or commission solar thermal or solar photovoltaic hot water heating systems.
- Calculate costs or savings for water- or energy-efficient appliances or systems.
- Perform domestic plumbing audits to identify ways in which customers might reduce consumption of water or energy.
- Determine sizing requirements for solar hot water heating systems, taking into account factors such as site orientation, load calculations, or storage capacity requirements.
- Recommend energy or water saving products, such as low-flow faucets or shower heads, water-saving toilets, or high-efficiency hot water heaters.
- Install alternative water sources, such as rainwater harvesting systems or graywater reuse systems.
- Weld small pipes or special piping, using specialized techniques, equipment, or materials, such as computer-assisted welding or microchip fabrication.
- Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes or pipe fittings, using hand or power tools.
- Install green plumbing equipment, such as faucet flow restrictors, dual-flush or pressure-assisted flush toilets, or tankless hot water heaters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $58,220 with most people making between $33,920 and $95,120
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,950 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,670 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 172 openings due to growth and about 228 replacement openings for approximately 400 total annual openings.
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Construction Carpenters
- Rough Carpenters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General