Lay out, assemble, install, or maintain pipe systems, pipe supports, or related hydraulic or pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, or industrial production or processing systems.
- Water Regulator and Valve Repairer
- Water Pipe Installer
- Water Meter Installer
- Water Mechanic
- Water Hydrant Installer
- Steamfitter Apprentice
- Steam Trap Worker
- Steam Trap Man
- Steam Service Inspector
- Dip nonferrous piping materials in a mixture of molten tin and lead to obtain a coating that prevents erosion or galvanic or electrolytic action.
- Operate motorized pumps to remove water from flooded manholes, basements, or facility floors.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients.
- Install or test gray water systems, such as recycling, treatment, or irrigation systems.
- Install pipe systems to support alternative energy-fueled systems, such as geothermal heating or cooling systems.
- Install fixtures, appliances, or equipment designed to reduce water or energy consumption.
- Inspect work sites for obstructions or holes that could cause structural weakness.
- Remove and replace worn components.
- Shut off steam, water, or other gases or liquids from pipe sections, using valve keys or wrenches.
- Install automatic controls to regulate pipe systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $58,220 with most people making between $33,920 and $95,120
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,950 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,670 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 172 openings due to growth and about 228 replacement openings for approximately 400 total annual openings.
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders