Cover interior walls or ceilings of rooms with decorative wallpaper or fabric, or attach advertising posters on surfaces such as walls and billboards. May remove old materials or prepare surfaces to be papered.
- Apply acetic acid to damp plaster to prevent lime from bleeding through paper.
- Remove paint, varnish, dirt, and grease from surfaces, using paint remover and water soda solutions.
- Staple or tack advertising posters onto fences, walls, billboards, or poles.
- Mix paste, using paste powder and water, and brush paste onto surfaces.
- Apply thinned glue to waterproof porous surfaces, using brushes, rollers, or pasting machines.
- Remove old paper, using water, steam machines, or solvents and scrapers.
- Set up equipment, such as pasteboards and scaffolds.
- Smooth rough spots on walls and ceilings, using sandpaper.
- Apply sizing to seal surfaces and maximize adhesion of coverings to surfaces.
- Measure surfaces or review work orders to estimate the quantities of materials needed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,110 with most people making between $26,270 and $48,300
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 280 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 290 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Construction Laborers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers