Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency.
- Bake finishes on painted or enameled articles, using baking ovens.
- Spray or brush hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Waterproof buildings, using waterproofers or caulking.
- Cut stencils and brush or spray lettering or decorations on surfaces.
- Use special finishing techniques such as sponging, ragging, layering, or faux finishing.
- Remove fixtures such as pictures, door knobs, lamps, or electric switch covers prior to painting.
- Remove old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water or abrasive blasting.
- Select and purchase tools or finishes for surfaces to be covered, considering durability, ease of handling, methods of application, and customers' wishes.
- Wash and treat surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations, and sand rough spots to ensure that finishes will adhere properly.
- Polish final coats to specified finishes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,230 with most people making between $24,300 and $62,120
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,980 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 92 openings due to growth and about 148 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters