Line and cover structures with insulating materials. May work with batt, roll, or blown insulation materials.
- Prepare surfaces for insulation application by brushing or spreading on adhesives, cement, or asphalt, or by attaching metal pins to surfaces.
- Remove old insulation such as asbestos, following safety procedures.
- Read blueprints and select appropriate insulation, based on space characteristics and the heat retaining or excluding characteristics of the material.
- Cover, seal, or finish insulated surfaces or access holes with plastic covers, canvas strips, sealants, tape, cement or asphalt mastic.
- Fill blower hoppers with insulating materials.
- Move controls, buttons, or levers to start blowers and regulate flow of materials through nozzles.
- Distribute insulating materials evenly into small spaces within floors, ceilings, or walls, using blowers and hose attachments, or cement mortars.
- Cover and line structures with blown or rolled forms of materials to insulate against cold, heat, or moisture, using saws, knives, rasps, trowels, blowers, or other tools and implements.
- Fit, wrap, staple, or glue insulating materials to structures or surfaces, using hand tools or wires.
- Measure and cut insulation for covering surfaces, using tape measures, handsaws, power saws, knives, or scissors.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $43,100 with most people making between $24,760 and $68,100
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 660 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 740 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 22 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders