Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering.
- Use mechanical applicators that spread compounds and embed tape in one operation.
- Sand rough spots of dried cement between applications of compounds.
- Check adhesives to ensure that they will work and will remain durable.
- Apply texturizing compounds or primers to walls or ceilings before final finishing, using trowels, brushes, rollers, or spray guns.
- Install metal molding at wall corners to secure wallboard.
- Remove extra compound after surfaces have been covered sufficiently.
- Countersink nails or screws below surfaces of walls before applying sealing compounds, using hammers or screwdrivers.
- Select the correct sealing compound or tape.
- Work on high ceilings using scaffolding or other tools, such as stilts.
- Mix sealing compounds by hand or with portable electric mixers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,850 with most people making between $31,950 and $64,700
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 620 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 690 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 3 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Construction Laborers
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers