Operate one or several types of power construction equipment, such as motor graders, bulldozers, scrapers, compressors, pumps, derricks, shovels, tractors, or front-end loaders to excavate, move, and grade earth, erect structures, or pour concrete or other hard surface pavement. May repair and maintain equipment in addition to other duties.
- Utility Tractor Operator
- Track Hoe Operator
- Street Roller Engineer
- Steam Shovel Runner
- Steam Shovel Operator
- Steam Shovel Operating Engineer
- Steam Shovel Engineer
- Stabilizer Operator
- Slab Lifting Engineer
- Shovel Engineer
- Operate conveyors to remove grit and debris from digesters.
- Perform specialized work, using equipment such as pile drivers, dredging rigs, drillers, or concrete pumpers.
- Compile cost estimates for jobs.
- Turn valves to control air or water output of compressors or pumps.
- Operate road watering, oiling, or rolling equipment, or street sealing equipment, such as chip spreaders.
- Operate compactors, scrapers, or rollers to level, compact, or cover refuse at disposal grounds.
- Talk to clients and study instructions, plans, or diagrams to establish work requirements.
- Drive tractor-trailer trucks to move equipment from site to site.
- Test atmosphere for adequate oxygen or explosive conditions when working in confined spaces.
- Push other equipment when extra traction or assistance is required.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $47,900 with most people making between $30,720 and $69,450
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 20,910 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 23,070 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 216 openings due to growth and about 354 replacement openings for approximately 570 total annual openings.
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders