Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
- Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
- Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Place strips of material, such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete or water mixes.
- Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
- Shovel blacktop.
- Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $44,070 with most people making between $29,930 and $62,010
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,380 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,700 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 32 openings due to growth and about 58 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Segmental Pavers
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors