Scrape and sand wooden floors to smooth surfaces using floor scraper and floor sanding machine, and apply coats of finish.
- Remove excess glue from joints, using knives, scrapers, or wood chisels.
- Apply filler compound and coats of finish to floors to seal wood.
- Attach sandpaper to rollers of sanding machines.
- Guide sanding machines over surfaces of floors until surfaces are smooth.
- Scrape and sand floor edges and areas inaccessible to floor sanders, using scrapers, disk-type sanders, and sandpaper.
- Inspect floors for smoothness.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,740 with most people making between $28,790 and $56,070
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 240 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 260 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 5 replacement openings for approximately 7 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Fabric Menders, Except Garment
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand