Apply blocks, strips, or sheets of shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative coverings to floors.
- Vinyl Installer
- Vinyl Flooring Installer
- Tile Trimmer
- Tile Setter Apprentice
- Tile Setter
- Tile Mechanic
- Tile Installer
- Tile Fitter
- Tile Applicator
- Heat and soften floor covering materials to patch cracks or fit floor coverings around irregular surfaces, using blowtorch.
- Disconnect and remove appliances, light fixtures, and worn floor and wall covering from floors, walls, and cabinets.
- Remove excess cement to clean finished surface.
- Lay out, position, and apply shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative coverings to floors, walls, and cabinets, following guidelines to keep courses straight and create designs.
- Determine traffic areas and decide location of seams.
- Apply adhesive cement to floor or wall material to join and adhere foundation material.
- Roll and press sheet wall and floor covering into cement base to smooth and finish surface, using hand roller.
- Cut covering and foundation materials, according to blueprints and sketches.
- Measure and mark guidelines on surfaces or foundations, using chalk lines and dividers.
- Form a smooth foundation by stapling plywood or Masonite over the floor or by brushing waterproof compound onto surface and filling cracks with plaster, putty, or grout to seal pores.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $65,560 with most people making between $23,630 and $127,760
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 720 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 830 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 11 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Etchers and Engravers