Build rough wooden structures, such as concrete forms, scaffolds, tunnel, bridge, or sewer supports, billboard signs, and temporary frame shelters, according to sketches, blueprints, or oral instructions.
- Wharf Builder
- Ventilation Worker
- Union Carpenter
- Trestle Mechanic
- Trestle Builder
- Timber Framer
- Stopping Builder
- Stage Builder
- Sign Erector and Repairer
- Build chutes for pouring concrete.
- Dig or direct digging of post holes and set poles to support structures.
- Fabricate parts, using woodworking and metalworking machines.
- Build sleds from logs and timbers for use in hauling camp buildings and machinery through wooded areas.
- Examine structural timbers and supports to detect decay, and replace timbers as required, using hand tools, nuts, and bolts.
- Install rough door and window frames, subflooring, fixtures, or temporary supports in structures undergoing construction or repair.
- Maintain job records and schedule work crew.
- Bore boltholes in timber, masonry or concrete walls, using power drill.
- Assemble and fasten material together to construct wood or metal framework of structure, using bolts, nails, or screws.
- Erect forms, framework, scaffolds, hoists, roof supports, or chutes, using hand tools, plumb rule, and level.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $48,600 with most people making between $27,080 and $79,360
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 48,880 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 53,760 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 488 openings due to growth and about 562 replacement openings for approximately 1,050 total annual openings.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Construction Carpenters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders