Grade logs or estimate the marketable content or value of logs or pulpwood in sorting yards, millpond, log deck, or similar locations. Inspect logs for defects or measure logs to determine volume.
- Timber Estimator
- Timber Buyer
- Procurement Forester
- Pond Scaler
- Lumber Grader
- Log Yard Manager
- Log Sorter
- Log Scaler
- Tend conveyor chains that move logs to and from scaling stations.
- Saw felled trees into lengths.
- Drive to sawmills, wharfs, or skids to inspect logs or pulpwood.
- Communicate with coworkers by using signals to direct log movement.
- Measure log lengths and mark boles for bucking into logs, according to specifications.
- Weigh log trucks before and after unloading, and record load weights and supplier identities.
- Arrange for hauling of logs to appropriate mill sites.
- Identify logs of substandard or special grade so that they can be returned to shippers, regraded, recut, or transferred for other processing.
- Jab logs with metal ends of scale sticks, and inspect logs to ascertain characteristics or defects such as water damage, splits, knots, broken ends, rotten areas, twists, and curves.
- Paint identification marks of specified colors on logs to identify grades or species, using spray cans, or call out grades to log markers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $33,700 with most people making between $25,470 and $50,420
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 130 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 130 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Freight and Cargo Inspectors
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators