Select and breed animals according to their genealogy, characteristics, and offspring. May require knowledge of artificial insemination techniques and equipment use. May involve keeping records on heats, birth intervals, or pedigree.
- Perform procedures such as animal dehorning or castration.
- Brand, tattoo, or tag animals to allow animal identification.
- Examine semen microscopically to assess and record density and motility of gametes, and dilute semen with prescribed diluents, according to formulas.
- Adjust controls to maintain specific building temperatures required for animals' health and safety.
- Inject prepared animal semen into female animals for breeding purposes, by inserting nozzle of syringe into vagina and depressing syringe plunger.
- Measure specified amounts of semen into calibrated syringes, and insert syringes into inseminating guns.
- Arrange for sale of animals and eggs to hospitals, research centers, pet shops, and food processing plants.
- Maintain logs of semen specimens used and animals bred.
- Prepare containers of semen for freezing and storage or shipment, placing them in dry ice or liquid nitrogen.
- Package and label semen to be used for artificial insemination, recording information such as the date, source, quality, and concentration.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2011, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,500 with most people making between $23,090 and $66,140
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 110 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 110 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Bicycle Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation