Directly supervise and coordinate activities of aquacultural workers.
- Wildlife Manager
- Shellfish Grower
- Shellfish Farming Supervisor
- Rainbow Trout Farm Manager
- Hatchery Manager
- Harvest Manager
- Fishery Biologist
- Fisheries Manager
- Fisheries Biologist
- Fish Hatchery Supervisor
- Select and ship eggs to other hatcheries.
- Supervise the artificial spawning of various salmon and trout species.
- Requisition supplies.
- Perform both supervisory and management functions, such as accounting, marketing, and personnel work.
- Maintain workers' time records.
- Interview and select new employees.
- Plan work schedules according to personnel and equipment availability, tidal levels, feeding schedules, or transfer and harvest needs.
- Direct workers to correct problems such as disease, quality of seed distribution, or adequacy of cultivation.
- Train workers in spawning, rearing, cultivating, and harvesting methods, and in the use of equipment.
- Engage in the same fishery work as workers supervised.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $55,110 with most people making between $35,470 and $75,400
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,380 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,220 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Energy Auditors
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Fire Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Ship and Boat Captains