Directly supervise and coordinate activities of logging workers.
- Woods Superintendent
- Woods Rider
- Woods Boss
- Turpentine Farmer
- Trucking Supervisor
- Saw Superintendent
- Saw Boss
- Press Supervisor
- Logging Supervisor
- Logging Superintendent
- Prepare production or personnel time records for management.
- Schedule work crews, equipment, or transportation for several different work locations.
- Coordinate the selection and movement of logs from storage areas, according to transportation schedules or production requirements.
- Coordinate dismantling, moving, and setting up equipment at new work sites.
- Communicate with forestry personnel regarding forest harvesting or forest management plans, procedures, or schedules.
- Determine logging operation methods, crew sizes, or equipment requirements, conferring with mill, company, or forestry officials as necessary.
- Plan or schedule logging operations, such as felling or bucking trees or grading, sorting, yarding, or loading logs.
- Supervise or coordinate the activities of workers engaged in logging operations or silvicultural operations.
- Assign to workers duties such as trees to be cut, cutting sequences and specifications, or loading of trucks, railcars, or rafts.
- Train workers in tree felling or bucking, operation of tractors or loading machines, yarding or loading techniques, or safety regulations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $51,640 with most people making between $29,400 and $74,280
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,380 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,220 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- Ship and Boat Captains
- Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge