Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Requisition additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Compute prices of items or groups of items.
- Keep records of out-going orders.
- Place merchandise on conveyors leading to wrapping areas.
- Read orders to ascertain catalog numbers, sizes, colors, and quantities of merchandise.
- Obtain merchandise from bins or shelves.
- Complete order receipts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $24,390 with most people making between $16,760 and $36,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 79,260 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 81,320 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 206 openings due to growth and about 2,514 replacement openings for approximately 2,720 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Marking Clerks
- Stock Clerks- Stockroom, Warehouse, or Storage Yard
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers