Sort mail for delivery. Deliver mail on established route by vehicle or on foot.
- Complete forms that notify publishers of address changes.
- Sell stamps and money orders.
- Travel to post offices to pick up the mail for routes or pick up mail from postal relay boxes.
- Enter change of address orders into computers that process forwarding address stickers.
- Register, certify, and insure parcels and letters.
- Report any unusual circumstances concerning mail delivery, including the condition of street letter boxes.
- Provide customers with change of address cards and other forms.
- Answer customers' questions about postal services and regulations.
- Return incorrectly addressed mail to senders.
- Record address changes and redirect mail for those addresses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,250 with most people making between $33,420 and $60,250
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 13,260 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 260 replacement openings for approximately 260 total annual openings.