Answer inquiries and provide information to the general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties regarding activities conducted at establishment and location of departments, offices, and employees within the organization.
- Conduct tours or deliver talks describing features of public facilities, such as a historic site or national park.
- Enroll individuals to participate in programs and notify them of their acceptance.
- Schedule space or equipment for special programs and prepare lists of participants.
- Perform duties, such as taking care of plants or straightening magazines to maintain lobby or reception area.
- Take orders for merchandise or materials and send them to the proper departments to be filled.
- Keep a current record of staff members' whereabouts and availability.
- Process and prepare memos, correspondence, travel vouchers, or other documents.
- Calculate and quote rates for tours, stocks, insurance policies, or other products or services.
- Provide information about establishment, such as location of departments or offices, employees within the organization, or services provided.
- Collect, sort, distribute, or prepare mail, messages, or courier deliveries.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $27,530 with most people making between $18,260 and $38,640
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 42,860 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 45,010 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 215 openings due to growth and about 1,155 replacement openings for approximately 1,370 total annual openings.
- Retail Salespersons
- Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Customer Service Representatives
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
- Office Clerks, General