Receive and process incoming orders for materials, merchandise, classified ads, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Generally receives orders via mail, phone, fax, or other electronic means. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, shipping dates, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints.
- Calculate and compile order-related statistics, and prepare reports for management.
- Recommend type of packing or labeling needed on order.
- Adjust inventory records to reflect product movement.
- Notify departments when supplies of specific items are low, or when orders would deplete available supplies.
- File copies of orders received, or post orders on records.
- Attempt to sell additional merchandise or services to prospective or current customers by telephone or through visits.
- Collect payment for merchandise, record transactions, and send items such as checks or money orders for further processing.
- Check inventory records to determine availability of requested merchandise.
- Inspect outgoing work for compliance with customers' specifications.
- Direct specified departments or units to prepare and ship orders to designated locations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,230 with most people making between $18,560 and $47,430
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,000 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,610 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 270 replacement openings for approximately 270 total annual openings.
- Travel Agents
- Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Dispatchers, Except Police, Fire, and Ambulance
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks