Interview persons by telephone, mail, in person, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. Ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form. May sort, classify, and file forms.
- Prepare reports to provide answers in response to specific problems.
- Collect and analyze data, such as studying old records, tallying the number of outpatients entering each day or week, or participating in federal, state, or local population surveys as a Census Enumerator.
- Locate and list addresses and households.
- Perform patient services, such as answering the telephone or assisting patients with financial or medical questions.
- Perform office duties, such as telemarketing or customer service inquiries, maintaining staff records, billing patients, or receiving payments.
- Supervise or train other staff members.
- Assist individuals in filling out applications or questionnaires.
- Ensure payment for services by verifying benefits with the person's insurance provider or working out financing options.
- Meet with supervisor daily to submit completed assignments and discuss progress.
- Identify and resolve inconsistencies in interviewees' responses by means of appropriate questioning or explanation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $34,210 with most people making between $21,590 and $48,990
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,890 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 36 openings due to growth and about 204 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
- Customer Service Representatives
- Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs
- New Accounts Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
- Office Clerks, General