Assist patients in obtaining services, understanding policies and making health care decisions.
- Volunteer Patient Representative
- Social Worker
- Social Services Director
- Service Coordinator
- Patient Services Representative
- Patient Services Assistant
- Patient Service Specialist
- Patient Service Representative
- Patient Resources and Reimbursement Agent
- Teach patients to use home health care equipment.
- Analyze patients' abilities to pay to determine charges on a sliding scale.
- Develop and distribute newsletters, brochures, or other printed materials to share information with patients or medical staff.
- Identify and share research, recommendations, or other information regarding legal liabilities, risk management, or quality of care.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, continue education, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field.
- Collect and report data on topics such as patient encounters or inter-institutional problems, making recommendations for change when appropriate.
- Provide consultation or training to volunteers or staff on topics such as guest relations, patients' rights, or medical issues.
- Explain policies, procedures, or services to patients using medical or administrative knowledge.
- Investigate and direct patient inquiries or complaints to appropriate medical staff members and follow up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Refer patients to appropriate health care services or resources.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $35,630 with most people making between $21,370 and $53,300
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 108,520 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 114,820 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 630 openings due to growth and about 2,670 replacement openings for approximately 3,300 total annual openings.
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Residential Advisors