Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Represent municipalities at community events or serve as liaisons on community committees.
- Prepare reports on civic needs.
- Provide assistance with events, such as police department auctions of abandoned automobiles.
- Serve as a notary of the public.
- Develop or conduct orientation programs for candidates for political office.
- Process claims against the municipality, maintaining files and log of claims, and coordinate claim response and handling with municipal claims administrators.
- Provide assistance to persons with disabilities in reaching less accessible areas of municipal facilities.
- Participate in the administration of municipal elections, such as preparation or distribution of ballots, appointment or training of election officers, or tabulation or certification of results.
- Collaborate with other staff to assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, or priorities.
- Perform contract administration duties, assisting with bid openings or the awarding of contracts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,100 with most people making between $21,480 and $59,330
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,500 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,490 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.