Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Warehouse Technician
- Warehouse Clerk
- Supply Coordinator
- Purchasing Specialist
- Purchasing Department Clerk
- Purchasing Coordinator
- Purchasing Clerk
- Purchasing Associate
- Purchasing Assistant
- Purchasing Analyst
- Monitor in-house inventory movement and complete inventory transfer forms for bookkeeping purposes.
- Prepare invitation-of-bid forms, and mail forms to supplier firms or distribute forms for public posting.
- Monitor contractor performance, recommending contract modifications when necessary.
- Approve and pay bills.
- Train and supervise subordinates and other staff.
- Locate suppliers, using sources such as catalogs and the internet, and interview them to gather information about products to be ordered.
- Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations.
- Track the status of requisitions, contracts, and orders.
- Contact suppliers to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
- Maintain knowledge of all organizational and governmental rules affecting purchases, and provide information about these rules to organization staff members and to vendors.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,970 with most people making between $25,510 and $55,500
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,350 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,170 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Tax Preparers
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Municipal Clerks
- Credit Authorizers
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Legal Secretaries
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks