Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Maintain inventory records.
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting, or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses.
- Prepare trial balances of books.
- Prepare purchase orders and expense reports.
- Calculate costs of materials, overhead, and other expenses, based on estimates, quotations and price lists.
- Calculate, prepare, and issue bills, invoices, account statements, and other financial statements according to established procedures.
- Complete and submit tax forms and returns, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms, and other government documents.
- Transfer details from separate journals to general ledgers or data processing sheets.
- Compare computer printouts to manually maintained journals to determine if they match.
- Compile budget data and documents, based on estimated revenues and expenses and previous budgets.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,660 with most people making between $23,500 and $56,690
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 71,160 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 66,880 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 700 replacement openings for approximately 700 total annual openings.
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Procurement Clerks
- Court Clerks
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks