Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Negotiate credit extensions when necessary.
- Notify credit departments, order merchandise repossession or service disconnection, and turn over account records to attorneys when customers fail to respond to collection attempts.
- Contact insurance companies to check on status of claims payments and write appeal letters for denial on claims.
- Receive payments and post amounts paid to customer accounts.
- Perform various administrative functions for assigned accounts, such as recording address changes and purging the records of deceased customers.
- Sort and file correspondence and perform miscellaneous clerical duties, such as answering correspondence and writing reports.
- Trace delinquent customers to new addresses by inquiring at post offices, telephone companies, credit bureaus, or through the questioning of neighbors.
- Record information about financial status of customers and status of collection efforts.
- Answer customer questions regarding problems with their accounts.
- Locate and monitor overdue accounts, using computers and a variety of automated systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,600 with most people making between $24,070 and $50,570
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 12,350 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 11,970 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 300 replacement openings for approximately 300 total annual openings.
- Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Tax Preparers
- Travel Agents
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Credit Authorizers
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks
- Legal Secretaries