Solicit donations or orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Conduct client or market surveys to obtain information about potential customers.
- Schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective customers or for customers to attend sales presentations.
- Maintain records of contacts, accounts, and orders.
- Telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from customers or to follow up initial sales contacts.
- Answer telephone calls from potential customers who have been solicited through advertisements.
- Obtain names and telephone numbers of potential customers from sources such as telephone directories, magazine reply cards, and lists purchased from other organizations.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
- Record names, addresses, purchases, and reactions of prospects contacted.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $26,250 with most people making between $17,130 and $38,650
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,530 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,580 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.