Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Technical Account Manager
- Systems Engineer
- Senior Sales Engineer
- Sales Specialist
- Sales Engineer, Engineered Products
- Sales Engineer, Account Manager
- Sales Engineer
- Product Sales Engineer
- Product Manager
- Attend trade shows and seminars to promote products or to learn about industry developments.
- Report to supervisors about prospective firms' credit ratings.
- Train team members in the customer applications of technologies.
- Attend company training seminars to become familiar with product lines.
- Write technical documentation for products.
- Secure and renew orders and arrange delivery.
- Identify resale opportunities and support them to achieve sales plans.
- Maintain sales forecasting reports.
- Keep informed on industry news and trends, products, services, competitors, relevant information about legacy, existing, and emerging technologies, and the latest product-line developments.
- Document account activities, generate reports, and keep records of business transactions with customers and suppliers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $95,180 with most people making between $50,940 and $152,170
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,990 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,080 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 9 openings due to growth and about 81 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Electrical Engineers
- Urban and Regional Planners
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products