Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Develop lists of prospective clients from sources such as newspaper items, company records, local merchants, or customers.
- Wear costumes or sign boards and walk in public to promote merchandise, services, or events.
- Write articles or pamphlets about products.
- Contact businesses or civic establishments to arrange to exhibit and sell merchandise.
- Recommend product or service improvements to employers.
- Train demonstrators to present a company's products or services.
- Provide product information, using lectures, films, charts, or slide shows.
- Stock shelves with products.
- Prepare or alter presentation contents to target specific audiences.
- Work as part of a team of demonstrators to accommodate large crowds.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $27,260 with most people making between $20,090 and $38,550
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,910 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,070 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 16 openings due to growth and about 54 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Manicurists and Pedicurists
- Parts Salespersons
- Travel Agents
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks
- Office Clerks, General